Drop Down Menu

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Review Mad Max: Fury Road (2015): One big chase sequence full of spectacle and thrills!

genre: action, adventure, science fiction,




What can I add to say about a title that already has won the majority over. Including me. For the time being I would say that Mad Max: Fury Road is the best blockbuster film of this year. 

Why? Because it manages to do what it is supposed to do. It puts you into another world and immerses you in such a way that you don't want to leave it. From the start it grabs you and never lets up until the credits roll. I read that George Miller had the desire to make a Mad Max movie where everything was told visually with very little to no dialogue and where the whole film was one big action / chase sequence. Back then of course he did not have the options and the budget to do so. That is why it is remarkable and extraordinary that after thirty years he finally has been able to accomplish what he wanted. 

Now while I loved this movie I have to admit that there are some minor points I think were flawed. The action surely was spectacular and stylish but if I compare them to the ones in Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior they missed the charm of The Road Warrior. When people died in that film it had much more of an impact it did in Fury Road. More than the previous parts in the franchise it felt like Max was more a side character than a main one. I had hoped that we would get to see more of what made him so mad. Instead it is implied and we have to assume he is. Which is fine if you know the franchise but if you aren't familiar then I do think it's a little weak. Especially since Emperor Furiosa played by Charlize Theron has been given a little more prominence story wise. 

Speaking of Charlize Theron. I have been made aware that Mad Max: Fury Road is seen as feminist propaganda. I truly don't know how to respond to this claim. Since nothing in this film even remotely suggests such a thing. Fury Road shows us a weird and bizarre world where people have made their own religions and way of living. Where the strong prey on the weak and where every individual are trying to survive. This theme has been present in the Mad Max films for 40 years. Stop making this into something political. From all the themes that are touched upon this is what people got? Didn't it bother Christians that the War Boy Warriors praised Immortan Joe and could not wait to get to Walhalla. Or that Immortan Joe oppressed the people by having control over (clean) water? Something greedy corporations are trying to do today as well. Or how very little concern there was for people's lives and their humanity? Honestly! Mad Max: Fury Road is not that deep people. 

For me Mad Max: Fury Road rocked. It was thrilling and spectacular throughout and it almost spoiled my enjoyment for the Avengers: Age of Ultron that I watched after this. I am looking very forward for George Miller and co to continue this franchise and I am sure that the sequel will be just as good or even better. 



No comments:


Trailers

Newsletter

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

Join us for free and get valuable content delivered right through your inbox.



Contact

Reviews Netflix Originals

Archive


Popular Posts

FOLLOW US